Operated by Adventure North Australia
An exclusive cultural journey from coast to rainforest; experience the natural beauty of the World Heritage Rainforest and discover an ancient culture with Adventure North Australia! Your guide for the day will be an experienced Aboriginal driver-guide with an in-depth knowledge of their culture to share.
Start your day being picked up from your accommodation and enjoy the scenic journey north along the coastal Captain Cook Highway. Our first stop is Mossman Gorge Centre where you will be welcomed with a traditional Aboriginal smoking ceremony as this is the traditional land of the Kuku Yalanji people. Browse the various local products and crafts in the gallery and gift shop at the Centre before making our way into the ancient rainforest of Mossman Gorge itself. Your experienced Aboriginal guide will take you on a journey through the rainforest to learn about the culture and history of the Aboriginal people, their Dreamtime stories and the significance of this place.
Return to the centre for a delicious lunch cooked with local flavours in the Mayi Café.
There are then two tour options that can be selected in the booking panel:
- Traditional Aboriginal Fishing: 2 hour coast and cultural walk at Cooya Beach learning techniques still used today by the Kubirri Warra people.
- Aboriginal Art & Culture: 1.5 hour art class with Aboriginal artist, Binna Swindley – paint your own canvas and learn how stories are told through aboriginal art.
After an amazing day of discovering the World’s oldest surviving culture, return to the coach with your driver-guide who will transfer you back to your accommodation.
- Departs Daily
- Tour may operate in reverse due to tides at Cooya Beach
- Child rate 4-14 years inclusive
- Not suitable for children under 4 years
- Family = 2A + 2C
- Rates are GST inclusive and in Australian Dollars
- Medium to High level of fitness recommended for Traditional Aboriginal Fishing option.
Low to Medium level of fitness recommended for Aboriginal Art & Culture option.
- Subject to Terms & Conditions of operator: Adventure North Australia
- Cancellation within 48 hours of travel incurs 100% cancellation fee.